How I take notes at University

The transition between sixth form/college and university is a big one. You go from being almost spoon fed information to getting hardly any extra help unless it's asked for. You go from regular checks that you are actually doing your work (at my sixth form we did anyway) to lecturers not even chasing you if you miss a lecture or seminar, and possibly the weirdest change is that you go from hour-long lessons divided equally between teacher-led and student-based learning, to different length lectures and seminars, in both of which you are expected to do different things. For those of you at university, you probably have already mastered a note-taking technique that works for you (I'd hope), but if you will be heading to university this September, or have realised that your current university note-taking method is totally wrong for you and you need a change, this blog post will hopefully help give you some ideas of how to keep your notes organised, clear and easy to find.

First things first, I choose to take notes by hand in lectures and seminars, because I prefer having a hard copy of everything, however laptops are optional if you prefer taking notes that way. If so, though, this post probably won't help you very much. Because I already knew  I preferred taking notes by hand, before I moved to uni, my mum bought me a lot of stationary, including pens, pencils, highlighters, and most importantly, separated note books.


The ones that we bought were Pukka Pad. Because I do a combined honours degree, I bought 1 notepad for each subject that I study. These notepads are great because not only do they have a pouch to store extra pieces of paper before every new section, they have labels which you can write the title of each section in the sections tab. I use these to separate my different modules. 



As well as labelling each section, I like to begin my notes with the date, the week of the school year, the module name, and whether the notes are from a lecture or seminar.


Lectures and seminars are different types of lesson. A lecture is teacher-led, and my lecture notes are a combination of what is on the powerpoint screen and what the lecturer is saying. Some people like to print the lecture slides off before each lecture and annotate them, however a lot of my lecture slides don't get put up until after the lecture, and printing off each powerpoint would cost a lot of money that, as a student, I don't have. 

Seminars, however, are more student based and the tutor will give you a series of different tasks to do, often relating to the seminar prep that they set in advance. In my Core English module, for example, my tutor sets us around 10-15 questions to do each week. What I like to do, however this is personal preference only, is to write the questions and answers in a different colour, and when we discuss the answers in class, anything I didn't write down, I would annotate around in a third colour. This is a really useful way to distinguish between the question, my ideas, and the ideas of my peers.

When I am planning essays, especially in English, I make a simple plan outlining the different paragraphs I want to write and quotes I want to put in, separating out the plan by colour-coding each paragraph.

After making this brief plan, I like to create a more in-depth plan on plain A4 printer paper and staple it into the notebook alongside my other plan. As I am quite a visual learner, I like to draw pictures alongside my plan, to make the whole document prettier to look at.


The final thing that I am going to write about is note-taking from books. I am a book annotating kind of gal. I know loads of people hate annotating in their books as it 'ruins it' but after taking English Literature for so many years, the thought of vandalising a book with my own ideas and knowledge really doesn't bother me anymore. I like to write a brief summary of the chapter/act at the beginning, before highlighting important/interesting parts of text, and writing my thoughts about why they are important/interesting/what literary techniques they use etc. etc. 

However, when the book isn't mine, e.g a text book or library book, I like to mark the page with sticky page holders, before taking notes on a sticky note and placing it on that page. If the book has to go back before I will be done with the information, I write the author, title, publishing information and page number on each sticky note so that I can know where I quoted/paraphrased from and so not get punished for plagiarism. 


I also keep all my hand outs from lectures and seminars in ring-binders, one for each subject, with dividers inside to separate each module. (I am not going to photograph those though because boring.)

This post has been a little less exciting and more serious/advice-like than my previous posts, so feel free to let me know in the comments whether you like or dislike this type of blog post.

With love,
Chloe x

No comments