My first experience skiing!

I do apologise for my late upload, my silly brain got confused about what day it was yesterday and I thought it was Monday, oops. This blog post is going to be more of a photo post rather than a written post as I think it will be easier to show what happened through photos, however I will share snippets of anecdotes with you all alongside the photos.

Over February Half Term, or in my case, reading week, I was lucky enough to go to skiing in Bansko, Bulgaria. It was my first time skiing and I think it's safe to say that I was absolutely terrified. However, despite falling over a grand total of 13 times over 6 days, I can say that I absolutely loved it, didn't want to come home, and really want to go skiing again.

Plane


Ski Passes






The most beautiful scenes ever




I can ski!


How I spent a lot of my time. Funny story: Sam's stepdad is a really good skier, so rather than paying for ski lessons, he taught me. Now this was all well and good, until I forgot how to turn and couldn't stop, so he tried to help me by skiing in front of me and being my brake. However on two particular occasions, this plan didn't quite work, and I ended up taking him out completely. The first time, we managed to get up ok, but the second time he ended up led on my elbow and another skier had to come and untangle us (thanks random British man!) Not so funny story: On one day, I had a panic attack 3/4 of the way up the mountain, fell over and got myself so worked up (after this photo) that I refused to ski down.


I spent the remainder of this steep bit alternating between sliding down on my bum, sitting on 1 ski and sliding down, or walking. Thursday was not a fun day.


However everything can be fixed with some apres ski. A rest, a chocolate bar and a cider, or a gluvine (Bulgarian mulled wine) is all you need to calm down and get back into it, so I managed to ski the rest of the way down (only on the easy slopes though.)



Bulgarian pancakes are the best thing ever. Freshly made and YUMMY!




We went to a Teppanyaki restaurant to celebrate Valentine's Day and Sam's mum and stepdad's wedding anniversary and had so much food it's a wonder I was able to walk the next day, let alone ski. If you ever have the chance to go to a Teppanyaki restaurant, do it!






Despite all the falls, the bruises, the panics and sweating ridiculously because you think it will be cold and so layer up but it's actually ridiculously boiling inside ski clothes, I had an amazing first skiing experience and I never wanted to come home! I was so anxious about trying skiing as I had never been one for sports, and so I never went with school, but if you have the opportunity to go skiing, despite your nerves, you definitely should because it is a really really fun experience!


With love,
Chloe x













No comments