The first term of University: A whirlwind of flu, essays, cooking far too much and panicking about losing my room key

And so it begins...again.

Wow, I've come to the conclusion that I just shouldn't blog anymore because I am so shit at posting, however it is now the New Year, welcome 2017, so I shall try and start posting again. My New Year's resolution was to post weekly, but lets see how that goes. 

Last September I started university, which is a new, cool, exciting piece of information to share, so here goes. I've been at Uni for a whole term now, wow,and I go back in just under a week. I won't tell you EVERY detail of my first term as we'd be here for years, but I will (try to) share the most interesting parts of my uni experience so far, to (hopefully) make you giggle at how relatable/strange my new life is.

First thing's first, the boring stuff: what I actually study. I attend Bath Spa University and read English Literature and History. In each subject I do 1 core module and 1 optional module. I could go on to explain the different modules what I study in them but I don't want to bore you to death so I'll give that a miss (unless you are looking to study English literature or History or Combined English Literature and History at Bath Spa, in such a case leave a comment and I will discuss them with you in more detail), but, I doubt it.

Now onto the more relatable and hopefully more interesting part of my university life: my flat mates. I live on campus in a house of 10, all of which I am lucky enough to get on well with, however over the past term I have become especially close to 3 of them, Ellie, Dan and Lewis (soz to the rest of you if you're reading this, I still love you x). We have had some cracking times as a flat, and some stressful ones, from the time Ellie got so drunk that we missed the last bus and then she refused to get in a taxi and spent an hour (from 03:00-04:00) sitting on the floor in Bath city center, to our flat Christmas Day, when we cooked an entire Christmas dinner without adult supervision (I guess we are the adult supervision now!) and got suitably drunk whilst doing so, to finally getting a house of 6 to live in next year! 

Fresher's week. If there is any university advice that I can give you, it is that fresher's flu is real and to definitely take 10982092 packets of cold and flu remedies because you will need them. All of them. Other than the ever-continuing flu, my fresher's week was relatively tame. I am lucky enough (or unlucky enough, depending on how you look at it) to not be living in a house full of drunks and druggies, and to be living with people who, in my opinion, drink an acceptable amount of alcohol on a semi-regular basis. I think in fresher's week we went to 1 flat party on the first night, on which I spilt my whole double vodka and coke in some random guy's bedroom, who doesn't live in our flat (sorry James), however he did turn out to be a bit of a creep (not so sorry James), and had to change my jeans for fear of embarrassment. Other than that, we went out twice I think, once to a zoo themed night and once just out, neither of which I can remember much of, both due to my poor memory, and due to the possibly too high alcohol consumption. My flat have continued to be tame in the going out department, hardly leaving the campus, although I'm sure that will change next term. 

Now onto the hard bit. Leaving home was harder than I thought. A lot harder. Moving in day seems forever ago now, but I will never forget how much my mum cried, how my sister didn't want to leave, and how my I saw my boyfriend, Sam, cry for the very first time. Leaving my family was difficult. Leaving Sam was worse, despite only moving an hour away from home. Sam and I settled on a fortnightly agreement, either he would come up or I would go home every 2 weeks for the weekend, but that didn't really work out. I think in the entire first term, Sam and I went 1 fortnight without seeing each other, the rest of the term I saw him every weekend, oops.  

I have made some amazing friends at university and some wonderful memories that I will never forget. I have had a few emotional breakdowns over essay stress, having to cook and clean and wash up for myself (I still can't make suitable portion sizes) and living away from Sam, and despite the worry of leaving home again next week, I am really excited to return, and besides, me and Ellie have decided to start running every week in order to get fit and stay fit this year, so I have to go back, or I'll get fat. What a whirlwind of a first term, but watch out 2nd term, I'm coming for you.


With love,
Chloe x


2 comments

  1. It was so lovely reading about your university experience. I also started this last year and absolutely love it! I hope moving back isn't too upsetting for you - you'll soon settle back in :)
    Viola xo | A Piece of Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment Viola! I'm glad you are loving uni! Moving back in was stressful but it is good to be back! I hope you are well :)
      Chloe x

      Delete